Finished and with a new name!
I wrote all about this quilt as a WIP last week and it was called 'Pickled' then, but my collaborator Tatyana had a better idea (well actually it was her hubby!).
This is a two person quilt where I did the piecing and then Tatyana quilted it any way she wanted, and she had the genius idea to create extra 'ghostly' versions of my strange organisms using fluorescent thread!
She also did fantastic quilting on the pieced microbes (yes they do also look like venus flytraps and Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors, but we are going with the microbes angle!), and in the background with these swathes of bubbles and ripples.
And we got it finished in time to enter it to QuiltCon East! The deadline was today. I also entered my Conkers Quilt so fingers crossed one of them gets in! 😊 (I've only just realised that emojis are now available on blogger!!)
Do you like my binding? It was hard to decide what to use on such a dramatic, modern looking quilt so I thought I would keep it simple with solids but make a random stripe picking out shades from the 'microbes', along with plenty of black.
Tatyana used a double layer of black 80/20 wadding for this which makes the motifs really pop out and gives it a perfect weight for a wall hanging, which I had intended this to be (rather than a bed quilt). It measures 51 x 65 inches.
I am very much in love with it, especially the awesome quilting, and it turned out exactly as I had imagined, in fact even better!!
In my description for the entry I said:
"The quilt could be a depiction of the deepest ocean or perhaps something taking place deep inside ourselves."
So quite a profound little quilt!